Sunday, October 7, 2012

A feel good week

Well, my luck never ceases to continue... Yesterday morning I went to go run errands and my truck no longer would work in reverse. Thankfully though I have good friends here that helped me push it out from the parking spot I was in. Thankfully I can still drive forward. I drove around to several places, only to find that they were either closed or couldn't help me. I found a place to take it in to, however I wont be able to take it in until Tuesday. Monday is Columbus day. Lets hope there is nothing seriously wrong with it.

Other then that I actually had a really good week. I had a great group of kids in my field group. They liked being outside and had a good knowledge about the outdoors. There was one particular kid in my group that made me feel really good. His name was Kyle, and he has an anxiety disorder. He was anxious about everything the whole week. His teacher came with him to every field group and class he went too, and he would only really interact with her. He also went home every night because of his anxiety as well. On the second to least day Kyle took my class Inside Out Kid. he moved much faster than the rest of the group and he kept having to look out the window. I noticed near the end of class that he was just sitting there with his head down. After we cleaned up and the other students left I had a chat with Kyle. He was upset because his teacher couldn't be there, and he did not know where she was. We found her together, and I left them to talk about things. I was, at this point, feeling bummed that Kyle had such a rough time in class. He went home early that day and had said that he wasn't going to come back for our last day. The next day came and after breakfast I saw Kyle standing outside. Turns out he forgot his luggage. He decided to stay for our final field group. His teacher was not going to be able to join us either. At the beginning Kyle just meandered slowly at the back of the group. I stopped at a point on the trail to talk to the kids and hand out IALAC beads. (IALAC beads are shoe ties we give to our field groups at the end of each week. They are individual to each field group. IALAC stands for I am loving and caring or I always love a challenge, or I am like a conductor.) I told the student about a group of kids who helped end segregation in Birmingham,Alabama. In order for the kids to get their IALAC bead they had to tell me one thing they learned about themselves this week. Well, I am not sure when it happened but Kyle got a smile on his face, he was talking with the group members, and finding salamanders to share with the group. At the end of their time right before he got on the bus Kyle came over to me, he gave me a giant hug and said "Thanks for being the best field group leader." I was really glad that Kyle had a good last day here. He may have only opened up for a little bit of his time here, but I think it made a difference in how he viewed his time here at Natures Classroom.

The teacher that came with that group gave me a really nice review at the end of the week as well.



Also, this week I got another chance at hosting TNL with my pal Retha. We had so much fun. We dressed up in crazy costumes and had the kids laughing all night. Just to give you all a chuckle here is a picture of us in our crazy costumes.

In other news, I have an answer for that question you all have been wondering about... When will I be home. Its not a definite date but I'll be home anytime between the last week in October to the second week of November. Were waiting to see what the number our during those times. ( So I'll most likely be there for thanksgiving dinner :D )

This upcoming week is a short week for me. I'll be helping out on Monday and Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday through Friday I am working with a small group of kids. They are 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders from a Montessori school. Ill be teaching classes about electricity, magnetism, and plants. There will be me, another teacher, and 18 kids. I will also be in charge of quiet song for this group as well. It should be a good week with a lot of stories (apparently the lead teacher from the school is a little crazy).

This is part of the review a student gave me. I just thought it was funny the things they wrote.


No comments:

Post a Comment